The Gordon Eye Surgery is committed to compliance with the Privacy Act 1988(cth) & respects your right to privacy.
This statement is to inform you of:
- they type of information we collect & hold
- how we hold the information
- the purpose of collection
- How you may lodge a complaint about a breach of privacy
- information disclosure
- Type of Information Collected
- Name, address, date of birth, email and contact details you have supplied.
- Other health information about you including; symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, other doctor reports and tests, appointment details and billing information, prescriptions, other details you have disclosed.
- Collection and Holding Information
Information collected in the following ways will be held ; information you have supplied in conversation, by telephone, email / electronic. This information may also be collected from a person responsible for you. Finally information may also be supplied by a third party, such as members of your treating team, diagnostic centres, other specialists, hospitals.
Staff are trained to respect and protect your privacy, and we take all reasonable steps to ensure this.
Your information is held digitally and paper files on site, in a locked room.
- Collection, holding and Disclosure of Information
Information is collected and held about you for the following reasons:
- to provide health care to you.
- to communicate with you about your healthcare
- to comply with legal obligations
- to help managing accounts and administration relating to your healthcare
- for consultations with other health professionals
- to obtain and analyse test results from diagnostic facilities
- for identification and claiming from Medicare/ DVA and insurance organisations and regulatory bodies
- supply of medication with an external pharmacy provider, if relevant to your care
- if your medical professional utilises MyHealth record, summary letters will be uploaded
We may use parts of your health information for research purposes, if this is required your consent will be sought. In other cases your details may be used as part of an informal study, in these cases your information will be de-identified.
Your personal information will not be disclosed to or released to a third party such as a solicitor unless a separate signed consent has been received from you and the request has been approved by the treating doctor.
WE WILL RELEASE YOUR FILE TO THE SAME DOCTOR AT ANOTHER LOCATION for purposes of continuing care.
- Accessing and correcting your information
A request to seek access to your medical information can be made, please request the relevant information for this process from our staff.
If any of the information we have about you is inaccurate, you may ask us to alter our records accordingly.
Statutory fees may apply in relation to the types of access you seek. If you request an explanation of our records or a written summary, our usual fees apply to these services.
Information can only be released to the individual it pertains to, unless governed by a guardianship order which we must sight.
- Complaints related to Privacy
If you have any questions or complaints about privacy related matters please lodge your complaint in writing to either To the Practice Manager Level 2/741 Pacific Highway, Gordon or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are dissatisfied with the response, you may refer the matter to the OAIC, Phone 1300363992, or email@example.com.
- Anonymity & Pseudonyms
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, individuals must have the option of not identifying themselves or using a pseudonym when entering transactions with an organisation. Patients must be aware that this may compromise comprehensive treatment and potential rebates from Medicare.
- Overseas Disclosure
Personal information will not be released to a person or organisation in a foreign country without the patients’ permission, unless legally required.
Information is stored on Cloud based storage for back up purposes which can be outside the Australian borders, including our text messaging service.
- Contact Details
Please direct any queries relating to Privacy to the Practice Manager or Administration Manager.
**All information is relevant ONLY to the PATIENT unless a Power of Attorney of Enduring Guardian or consent for a third party is on record. It is the person holding the responsibility as carer etc to notify the Gordon Eye Surgery and produce relevant documents